Escambia County Alabama



Please visit the NEW Website:


Search For:




Engineering & Road

Judge of Probate

Tax Assessor

Tax Collector


Humane Enforcement


Agency on Aging

Industrial Development Authority

Emergency Management Agency


Solid Waste Disposal

Health Department

Department of Human Resources

Satellite Offices


Voter Information

Veterans Affairs

Tax Collector
Tim Pettis
Post Office Box 407
Brewton, AL 36427
email:Tim Pettis
Atmore: (251)368-8086
NOTICE: Sale of Tax Liens for Collecting Delinquent Property Tax

Title 40-10-180(b) Code of Alabama: The tax collecting official of each county shall have the sole authority to decide whether his or her county shall utilize the sale of a tax lien or the sale of property to collect delinquent property taxes and the method decided by the tax collecting official shall apply to all property in that county for the year so decided. (And future years unless notice is given that changes the method prescribed.)

As the tax collecting official for Escambia County, please accept this notice as a declaration of my intentions to conduct a Tax Lien Auction and Sale for the collection of delinquent taxes for the year 2020-2021 forward. Title 40-10-180(c) Code of Alabama, requires that this notice be advertised once a week for three consecutive weeks, prior to October 1, 2020, in a newspaper with general circulation of said county, or on the tax collecting official’s website.

Tim Pettis Escambia County Tax Collector


Shirley Watson
Chief Clerk
Brewton, Al 36426

(251) 867-0299
OR Shirley Hubert
Office Manager
Atmore, Al 36502

(251) 368-8086

The Tax Collector.s Office is responsible for
  • Collecting all Real Estate Property Tax.
  • Taxes are due October 1.
  • Taxes are delinquent January 1.

Motor Vehicle Titles
  • Fee for Title Application is $18.00

Motor Vehicle Registrations Renewal Months
A's and D's - January I's and M's - June
B's - February P's and L's - July
C's and E's - March J's, K's and R's - August
F's, G's and N's - April Q's, O's and T's - September
H's and O's - May U - Z - October

Collecting Ad valorem on Motor Vehicles and Manufactured Housing:
1. Ad valorem Taxes for personal vehicles are based on 15% of the value which, is calculated by the State of Alabama. Recreational vehicles, motorcycles and vehicles used for commercial purposes are taxed at 30%.

Manufactured Home Registrations:
1. Our office has a Mobile Home Inspector to check Decals.

Sales and use tax on Motor Vehicles and Manufactured Housing.
2% State 1% City 1/2% County

  • A registration courtesy reminder is mailed for each vehicle that is currently registered in Escambia County. The reminders are mailed the first few days of each renewal month. Although these courtesy reminders are mailed, it is still the responsibility of the vehicle owner to make sure the vehicle is registered and fees paid. Please bring your courtesy reminder or last registration with you when renewing. The driver license number of the owner of record is also required.
  • Vehicles can be renewed via the mail. Mail the reminders along with a check or money order and (be sure to include the $2.00 mail fee for each vehicle) to the address shown on reminder cards. Be sure to have the owner of record sign the cards and include their driver license number. In order for the renewal to be processed via the mail renewal card and payment must be in our office by the last working day of the month.
  • Vehicles that are renewed late are subject to a $15.00 late fee, plus applicable interest according to state law. Vehicles not driven during the expiration/renewal month may sign an affidavit of non-use. This affidavit exempts the customer from late penalty. All ad valorem tax must be brought current regardless of use of vehicle.

  • Residents moving from another Alabama county will need to bring in the renewal reminder or the previous year.s registration in order toobtain Escambia County plates. You may wait until your renewal month to switch the registration.

PER CODE OF ALABAMA RULING 810-5-5.13, a physical inspection of a motor vehicle and verify the vehicle identification number and the descriptive data shown on the application is required first certificates of title, including certificates of title for the following:

  • New Vehicles- Application for first title.

  • Out-of State Vehicles- Brought into Alabama requiring registration and title in this State surrendering of out -of-state title.

  • Other Vehicles- Not currently titled in Alabama and subject to registration and titling in the State.

  • Beginning June 1, 2000, motorists will be required to carry liability insurance on each motor vehicle. Proof of insurance is not required to register a motor vehicle. Beginning January 1, 2001, an insurance certification was incorporated into the vehicle registration form which the customer signs before registration is complete.

  • In order to avoid a $15.00 late registration fee, newly acquired vehicles must be registered within 20 calendar days of purchase.
  • Documentation needed for the purchase of a new/used vehicle depends on who the vehicle was purchased.
  • Customers with vehicles purchased from an Alabama Dealer, the application for title and bill of sale are required.
  • Customer with vehicles purchased from out of state dealers will be required to pay sales tax and possibly a title for the vehicle.
  • Customer with vehicles purchased from an individual will be required to pay sales tax and apply for a title if vehicle was last registered in Alabama and ad valorem taxes will have to be brought current before the vehicle can be registered.

  • When registering manufactured homes, 1990 and newer models require a title or Manufacturer.s Certificate of Origin (MCO). All models require a bill of sale. You have 30 days from purchase date in which to register your manufactured home without a penalty. You can be penalized if the manufactured home decal is not displayed properly. Citation fees are $15.00. If not paid within 15 days, an additional $24.00 penalty will be charged. For additional information on manufactured homes call (251) 867-0299.
  • Before a manufactured home may be moved on the highways of Alabama, a Move Permit must be obtained from the office of the Tax Collector. One fee of $10.00 will be charged for the moving of each manufactured home (regardless of the number of transportable modules to be moved). Proof of payment of any applicable property taxes or the current registration fee, issuance fee, and any applicable penalties shall be required before the move permit will be issued. This move shall be in addition to any other move permits required by law. This move permit satisfies the requirement under the revenue manufactured home laws only.